Friday, August 24, 2012

Kind of Sweet


On Thursdays, I usually go to the bar and check out the live music. This week, I completely forgot I was going to do that anyway – the week’s been a big old blur, despite wanting it to go by slowly (school starts next week, lol.) – and when I went to the coffee shop, I picked up a flyer advertising what I usually go to see anyway. One of the bandmates started talking to me about it, so of course, I said I’d go, fully intent – and I did. They started playing later than scheduled, but the band ahead of them played some great stuff including my all-time favorite “St. Thomas”, which I used to see live a lot as a kid.
(This is where I'd go see live music with my mom sometimes when I was little). 

But that’s a later post. This one is about Thursdays and something a little less severe than “revenge”.
When I was younger, I would frequently over-book myself, as would my friends. When they did that, I felt left out. Whenever that would happen, my mom always told me that the best thing to do was to just go out and have fun anyway – even if it was all by myself. The point being that a) if my friends intended to leave me out and saw me having fun, their plans were ruined. And b) I could, in fact, have fun by myself. (Up until I was 11, I was an only child anyway.)


Why am I telling you this? Back to Thursdays. I used to hang out with one of my gal-pals until …geez, how old am I using “gal-pals”? I’ll fix that later. Anyway, until we had a falling-out. It just so happens that the Thursday we were supposed to hang out, I ended up at this bar, instead, and of course, had the time of my life with free live music, and one of my favorite appetizers. My boyfriend works downtown, so he would always join me until the bus came, then we’d head home.
Do I intend to have revenge on a friend who thinks I’m stuck at home with no bus fare? Not in the least. If she does think that – too bad for her, because I’m not. But I’m not terribly concerned either way. Some people aren’t supposed to be lifelong friends, anyway, and maybe it was just time for me to find something else. I’m getting my social life back after too many years in a very restrictive dorm, at least. That’s all I care about. The weekends are a different story. I plan to be hitting the clubs up again. Soon.

That’s all for now, I’m sure I’ll be back soon with more for ya. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages