Thursday, August 30, 2012

Noses, Noses, everywhere




One of the first episodes I remember, and enjoyed, is the one this quote came from. In this scene – if you’re not familiar with this popular ‘90’s show – Will Smith is telling his younger cousin Ashley how to get people to leave her alone. I can’t tell you how to make people leave you alone, but I can offer a story and maybe some advice on how to handle people always being in your business – aside from the stuff you put on the internet. That’s just out there and there’s really no taking it back, but things you say in conversation to others, or just happen to mumble to yourself when you think you’re alone, this might help with those things.


I recently had an event where someone jumped into my business and essentially accused me of having poor moral character. All of this without knowing the first thing about what was actually going on. They kept after me, too, trying to make me feel bad, and then offering to help seconds later.
I don’t take kindly to being accused of anything that I know isn’t true about myself. However, I did my best to ignore it (as I was at work), but something about this event festered in me the longer I tried to not think about it. I asked a couple people in private for their input just for clarification, but to no real resolve. The general consensus, however was – and I’m still completely positive  - that I wasn’t being a bad person, I was just going about my business the best way that I knew how. I just don’t know how to take being accused of being a bad person, since it was one of the only times in my entire life where such a thing happened.


What made this person jump into my business in the first place? I really don’t know, and I don’t know what makes anyone jump into what are commonly called “A-B” conversations. Perhaps it’s attention seeking, and maybe these people who accuse others of poor moral integrity need some redeeming, themselves. I don’t exist in their brains, and from the looks of it, I really don’t want to, anyway.
These people are often negative, and that is contrary to one of my new year’s resolutions to be positive (once again, as I used to be back in high school, and pretty much my entire life before I moved into the dorms. I don’t know what happened there, or perhaps I do and just don’t feel like delving back into that part of my life.).
hate to be emo, but that's what it feels like to go back "there"...


I think what I’m trying to get at today is that people will stick their noses where they don’t belong, and some of those people will do their best to make you feel like less than you are. Just know that you aren’t what they want you to be, and go about your day. When you see that they want to kick you down – perhaps because they perceive you to be higher up than they see themselves -, just get back up and show them how tough you are.

“Can’t nobody hold us down, nothing’s gonna take us down, you may think you can stop it, but we just ain’t stopping tonight, can’t nobody hold us down” – 2ne1.  
Stay strong like 2ne1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages