Saturday, December 1, 2012

Complacency = Dealbreaker?

I was reading Ebony Magazine today before work, since I got here early due to reasons that no longer matter, bad bad me, but I'm not gonna 'splain myself, 'cuz I don't gotta! Lolz.

So, anyway, I came across a section called he said/she said, I read a he said first, and his was just, ridiculous to me: it's a dealbreaker if on the first date, when he's trying to get physical, she backs away a little, like, she doesn't want his hand on her leg. It's your first date, dude, back the hell off, maybe to her you're coming on too strong, and who says you have the right to touch her body, anyway? ...digressing, next point: (of course, he withheld his name...*eyeroll *)


A woman was the first one to answer the question, though (I skip around in magazines like I do on the internet, lol.), and her turn off was complacency. It's understandable, once she states that not only is she a community activist - but also a business owner O.O Beehatch has chizz running for herself, She really is a bad mamma jamma, imo. So, anyway, she needed a man with as much drive as/more than she's got.

From her perspective, I can understand why she can deal with someone who's got a 9-5, but not someone who's got one of those and no ambition.

This is where I'm on the fence. Everyone likes to be comfortable, some people really don't need much to keep them happy. I'm like that in some respects, but I also believe that having dreams, goals, and all that jazz does, in a sense, earn points.

I'll let you lot in on something now, which may or may not be surprising, since I did go to two performing arts schools, took college art classes in middle school, and worked/volunteered, as it would have been called at the time, at a teen newspaper as both a writer and an artist - yes, I've been published, even if it was just in a teen newspaper, here's a link to their website (you won't find my stuff, anymore, it's been archived, but they do keep paper copies of old stuff in these handy 1/4 box thingies, so cool: http://www.voxteencommunications.org/newspaper/default.aspx. Fun times, for reals.

So, the thing I'm gonna let you in on is this: I want/ed to be an actress or something when I was younger/kind of still do, but I've realized that I don't need to rush it, 'cuz a of all) school is too important right now, especially so close to my first degree, for crying out loud, and b of all) I still get told I look 15 sometimes, so I can no doubt play high school kids probably into my early 30's if I really feel like it (there's one woman who I think still plays high schoolers/college kids and I think she's actually 40 or so!)

So yes, I've got goals, and ambitions, but it doesn't make my skin crawl when I hear other people say that they just want the simplest life they can get by on. Not everyone's meant to be that person who owns 5 hotels, 6 banks and 92 yachts. Not everyone want's to be that person, but I think a little drive is nice, maybe just be the best banker in your town would even be a nice goal, or whatever, you catch my drift.

What I can't deal with is someone who has no work ethic. I've known people with no work ethic, it drives me mad, especially when I'm eager to get a job done and they're just "meh, the work'll take care of itself. *rolls over in bed*".

Well, you know what, sir? No, That corn certainly will NOT schuck itself, so let's get out there and get shuckin' so we can have it done and enjoy the day, besides, SHUCKING CORN IS FUN!!!!

Actually, I don't know the first thing about corn shucking, but that's my general attitude about work. Considering that none of my work has been anything to make my stomach turn, I don't mind working early/late, all day long as I'm about to do this weekend, just give me some caffeine and let me run.

So, in short, no, I don't think complacency should be a total dealbreaker, apathy should. But that's just me. I don't own a business while being a community activist, we're all individuals with different stands on everything, so there ya go.

didn't realize this would end up being such a long post, really, lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages