Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review time! (last post didn't load)


This was supposed to be a hairspray review, but I don’t know how much you can really say about hairspray. I’ll talk about that a little bit, but there are a couple of other things I felt were more worthwhile to review, and I stumbled on them yesterday. The first is a lipstain I found: covergirl’s outlst lipstain. I got a deep shade, because I thought my two-tone but dark lips would benefit from a darker shade.
I’ll get to the lipstain in a second though, because I was supposed to talk about this hairspray that I rather quickly forgot about in the excitement of my other – more fun – finds.
The hairspray I got was Suave’s Extreme Hold, which looks like this:
It says that it’s unscented, but “ay, que olor!” Foul is one adjective that comes to mind when I have to hold a style with this.
Where “extreme hold” is concerned, yes, it does have that. It held my cute li’l piggytails for hours on fair day. I’d probably have still had them the next day if I hadn’t taken them down and slept so wildly…
Anysnooch, Let’s get on to the ingredients, shall we?
They are: water, dimethyl ether, SD alcohol 40-b, va/crotonates/vinyl neodecnoate copolymer, acrylates copolymer, aminomethyl propanol, sodium benzoate, cyclohexylamine, triethyl citrate, cyclopentasiloxane, sodium pca, masking fragrance, tocopherol, panthenol, butylene glycol, amp-isostearoyl hydrolyzed soy protein.
The feel: It reminds me of spritz, which I hated as a child (more for the fact that it stung than for it’s smell or the fact that it, too made my hair rather stiff and uncomfortable to touch). So, yes, as previously stated, it holds, and the hair feels stiff, as though it would break if touched roughly. (Don’t worry, it won’t. I kept touching my hair all day at the fair, and my spirals stayed until I took my hair down right before bed.)
The Verdict: While I love the hold, I’d rather have it without the stiff, cruncy feeling (which is why I always spray a coat or two of the next spray to soften it up quicker. You still get the hold, but it’ll feel nicer.)
Now onto my personal favorite hair spray. Unfortunately, I can’t remember who recommended it to me, but I thank them anyway.
Here it is:


Luster’s Pink Brand plus 2-n-1 scalp soother & oil sheen. I don’t think you can see the little straw, but it plugs into the spray nozzle, and you get a nice cool jet of soothing oil sheen directly on your scalp.
The scent is incredible! It smells just like cotton candy, which is my second favorite flavor after cherry anything.
The feel: It feels cool, refreshing, smooth, but yes, a bit heavy. Maybe I put too much on, and if you lean on anything accidentally (or on purpose, if it’s your habit), you’ll be doomed to see a bit of residue, unless it’s dried up. At least the residue will smell nice.
My hair really likes this stuff, and so do I. Though it’s probably not ideal for anyone with a really oily scalp. Mine’s pretty dry, so that’s another reason I use it.
Now, for this lip stain. I’m again comparing two. One I got today, the other I got a while ago, and kept just for these purposes…kind of…
So, the cover girl outlast lip stain 440 berry wink:
Appearance:

I thought it was pretty cute. The French bit just translates from English “lip stain”. It’s advertised to “feel 5x lighter than lipstick”. I haven’t used lipstick in a while, so I don’t know. Sure, I guess.
Here’s what happened when I put it on:



I only did the bottom to show what the top looked like when I used the other lip stain.  You can see that right here: 



I need to re-do my nails, of course, but this is my old lip stain. NYC smooch proof lipstain, 16 hr.
Here’s what it looks like on the top half of my lips: Absolutely nothing. It never really did work, unfortunately (so why keep it? I was hoping that leaving it upside down for a while would help, like maybe all the “stuff” was just at the bottom? ) Well, anyway, it didn’t work. Maybe it's because I had it for months, but I don't remember that one ever doing anything for me, actually, other than smelling nice. It could just be a color that doesn't show on my lips:

Somewhat disappointing...




The NYC one still feels wet, though. And it smells nice. My new covergirl one feels wet, applies, and it’s really bright, as you can see. It also lasts for a long time (It fades, and unless you let it dry before you drink something, it can fade pretty fast), but I put my lipstain on yesterday, and even after washing my face, my lips are still stained. I like the effect, ‘cuz at least my lips aren’t two-toned anyore.  The scent would be a nice addition, but it’s not strictly necessary.
Well, have a look at my quick make:



Now, my make with *lenses:

(you can see here that the lip sain has faded, but my lips are still stained, sure enough.) 

*in another post or two, I'll be reviewing my lenses as a first timer! I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages